I was just thinking, what should my next blog be about? I haven’t baked in a long time and when I was snacking on oranges, I thought, why not create an orange cake? Yeah! So, here we go with my well tried and tested whole wheat orange cake. You can trust with closed eyes, take the ingredients and start baking this moist and gooey citrus cake for your loved ones. Children and grown-ups alike are GOING TO LOVE IT!! Do you know the best part about it? It is an Eggless whole wheat orange cake.
We’re all conscious eaters and tired of the same old sweets and treats available in the market. This cake is a better option to satisfy that sweet tooth while simultaneously trying something different and healthier. Since oranges and chocolate are a match made in heaven, this baked goody makes for a delicious treat. If you’re overly worried about the calorie count, you can opt out of making the ganache.
For all those doubters, initially even I wasn’t sure about a home-made cake using whole wheat flour, but I was SO wrong! It turned out ten times better than its all-purpose flour counterpart. Don’t believe me? Try for yourself.
- 150 ml condensed milk / milkmaid
- 80gms cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup maida / all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. orange essence
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- ¾ tsp. orange zest
- 200 ml orange juice/ Tropicana
- ¾ cup warm milk, add as required
For frosting (optional)
- 100 ml fresh cream
- 150 gms cooking chocolate
- In a bowl whip butter with milkmaid until it turns white in colour.
- Add the orange juice to the mixture.
- In a plate, sieve the whole wheat, white flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet mixture.
- Add in orange essence, vinegar and orange zest.
- Mix everything well.
- In a greased baking pan pour the batter.
- Bake it at 180 degrees Celsius for 25 minutes. Keep checking!
- Melt the chocolate in an oven and mix it with the fresh cream after it cools.
- Once the cake is baked and cooled, spread on the chocolate ganache.
- Decorate with some sweet/caramelised oranges.
- It’s ready to serve!